Sunday, September 1, 2024

25 years

Now and again, it is worth nodding here to my day job as a manager at NJ TRANSIT Rail Operations, in the infrastructure engineering group.  The first of September was always a date loosely tied to school starting again, while looking forward to fall colors, crisper air and weather, and football.  

After school I'd hired out as an intern at NJ TRANSIT in Newark, NJ, with my fresh civil engineering degree.  It is a long story that is tied to a longer story, so I will save that for a future post.  But, the key for this post is that I was able to work that internship into a full-time position, my first.  My first railroad job became 'Junior Project Engineer' working out of Red Bank, NJ, on September 1, 1999.


24-year-old Dave Abeles, at CP Plain, Plainfield NJ
Winter 2001

And so when September drew near this year, it gave me pause - as September 1 is my 25th anniversary at work for NJT.  25 years into the Railroad Retirement system, which at NJT is a significant date also as it provides medical coverage for me and my family from here forward.  In my family as many of you might have learned that is no small deal, and it brings me comfort for which I am very thankful.  

Promotion to life in a cubical.  Spring 2004

There is still plenty of time left and a story that is still being written, but I thought for posterity and for all of us who fight the good fight that this date is worth a post of its own.  25 down, and more to come!

1 comment: