Once the paint is in place, it's static grass time. I don't worry about the messiness here, as once the paint cures a quick pass with a vacuum with a filter on the nozzle will remove any grass that is not secure.
While that cured I added more Sculptamold to the end, and fitted in a piece of scrap masonite to blend the new road into the fascia.
A few grassy tufts were glued in place along the shoulders of the road, and shoulder access areas were glued with isopropyl alcohol and diluted white glue. This would, of course, be a great place to railfan! Everything was allowed to dry overnight. The next night, I used the vacuum to remove all loose grass, and the results really are coming together!
This is really starting to look like Onondaga County! The sharp angle of the roadway will be hidden somewhat by new large trees, softening the transition to the wall behind.
While the plan here is for a fully-automated grade crossing with lights and gates, for now I installed simple crossbucks to protect the intersection. A police officer will be close by to make sure drivers slow down.
It's been a busy month here, but this is major progress and a scene that I am enjoying already. Once the automated gates are in, it's going to be really spectacular, but for now we are moving in the right direction.