Thursday, December 5, 2013

Coming Together

With some downtime ahead of the holidays and before the last signal bridges arrive, I decided to get the last of the local control panels (LCP's) in place.  The last two to go in were at CP294 and CP295, and to install those, I needed to install the permanent fascia board at the same time.

This took more thought than I had planned on - it was difficult to visualize how it would come together, as I did not make the original stringers long enough.  After quite a bit of time staring, beer in hand, at the issue,  I came up with an idea to build a new 'backbone' for the edge of the layout.  To do that, I needed to hang some timber girders to provide direction and support for the LCP's and the fascia.  I built L-girders out of 1X3 lumber, and fastened those girders to the existing stub-end stringers; with some careful measuring and fitting, I had my finished product.  Here's another view:

The fascia provides a nice, hard, definite edge to the layout, and finally defines the area that needs scenery.  We are approaching a stage of construction that will be primarily devoted to scenery, and I am looking forward to that.  That's where the magic really comes to full view!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays to all!

~RGDave

No comments:

Post a Comment