The long standing leak in the water meter assembly seems to have been addressed! Thanks to leadership and help from a neighbor who does HVAC plumbing professionally, the water main into the house has never looked better.
My thought quickly turned to the unstable landing on the stairway that was below the meter for 60 years. It was soft and off-level, and my thought was that there was significant rot beneath the surface. I was right. Since the new shortline will need to have several supports on the landing, I decided replacing the landing and stabilizing the bottom of the staircase was in order.
I put several hours in to engineering a new landing on an uneven concrete floor, including brick risers to keep the 'green' lumber out of the moisture as much as possible. The landing is now in. Tonight I will construct the final step, install finishing trim, and attach the staircase to the landing.
All of this is in the name of 'basement projects' before the layout, which has included replacing all galvanized water pipes, replumbing the entire downstairs bathroom, installing a new boiler, installing a new oil tank...
Finally, an action shot for you, as I switched Onondaga Yard with CR 2795 while the mortar set beneath the brick risers for the new landing...
That looked like a really extensive fix. Thanks for sharing this to us, and for giving us an idea as to all the stuff you had to deal with in making your basement more sturdy and livable. The water leaks can really be a constant problem with regard to that area, so it’s a good thing that you have taken care of it. Cheers!ReplyDelete
Gregg Hogan @ American Basement Solutions