Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Shrinking Mountain...and Associated Progress

We've seen it before on this blog - one thing starts the ball rolling and the progress seems to accelerate.  Now that the base scenery is in on Smirnoff Hill, the progress is coming in larger pieces, at least to the eye.  The bright white plaster cures and the first step is to add the base color paint for scenery. 
 

Once the paint is in place, it's a pretty remarkable change.  Where did the hill go??  Well, it's still there of course, but it's a lot less evident now!  I added my old 'distant canopy' forest green paint, and learned again that my artists's talents are not in backdrop painting.  Yikes.


But wait...didn't I have a some more leftover photo backdrops? 

As it turns out, YES, and thank goodness.  I carefully cut out a treeline from a piece of trimming from the backdrop leftovers, and glued that along the horizon.  It was long enough to wrap around the drain pipe, too, which will hide an unsightly obstacle, especially once the 'actual' trees are planted in front.

The backdrop needed time to cure, so I spent the rest of the evening adding base rock to what will be an abandoned siding along the main track.  This will be the Dean Electrical company, honoring my mother's father as his interest in trains was a key to mine.  He was an electrical engineer and since this little company needed a name...yep.


Using the base course, which is the quarry-process available at Lowes for patio paver setting, gives us a nice rip-rap looking base.  I added some damaged track that I sprayed with textured rust-colored paint, which will do a nice job representing abandoned siding track.  Over all this I add my mixtures of Arizona Rock & Mineral 'Yard Ballast' and 'Black Cinder' with a healthy dose of Woodland Scenics fine soil-brown turf mixed in.  


A few pieces of vegetation are tossed on top, and then the area is wetted with isopropyl alcohol and diluted white glue.  It is shown here with the glue still wet and curing, but I am happy how it is coming out!  

As this week goes on I will ride the wave and keep this work rolling.  I'm working to keep moving while the nights are still long, and while outdoor chores are still minimal.  If all goes well, the M&E will have a much more completed look before the winter is through!

~RGDave  

No comments:

Post a Comment