Wednesday, November 14, 2012

And Suddenly...

After a longer hiatus than usual here, I'd like to welcome you back to the blog!  2012 has been a year of new experiences; a high-contrast time, as I like to say.  New highs and, yes, some new challenges that may qualify as new lows.

Thanks to the graciousness of my wife, I was able to get away for a break from reality, and choose Cresson, PA as the place with some good friends during what have been some crazy times.  That trip yielded some great images, such as NS 11A, an Altoona, PA to Conway (Pittsburgh), PA manifest freight coming west past eastbound coal loads at Cresson, PA:


Back in the 'real world', I'd like to thank those of you who have inquired as to how we did with all the chaos from Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy.  We are safe and sound, thanks, and that is indeed a blessing.  Our house, however, took quite a lick during the height of the windstorm that came with Sandy:
Thank goodness for quality construction and old, overbuilt houses.  And, thank goodness for the fact that the 150+ year-old Norwegian Maple that came apart wasn't just a few feet closer to the house!  (The model railroad, BTW, is fine, thanks :-)  After such massive, epic damage, both work around the house and work at NJ TRANSIT have been quite a stretch.  As I found a few minutes here and there, I was able to finish up my latest kitbash on the Onondaga Cutoff, this time resulting in Conrail B36-7 5023:


Let's put it this way:  in 2012, as you regular readers know, my wife and I welcomed a beautiful baby girl into our world.  That, of course, brings with it a total shift in our world and lifestyle.  It was harder than expected, but is getting better and is just an amazing experience.  But it's worth mentioning that in addition to that, we in New Jersey have had a series of events that are not typical of New Jersey.  Over the summer, we had a significant earthquake, and now we're dealing with record coastal flooding.  We had record winds, and a record warm winter, but only following a record snowfall in October 2011.  Then we have more snow in early November 2012.   I don't know what's coming, but I do know that the results will continue to require effort and time away from the model railroad.  So, I need to keep pushing, keep fitting things in where I can.

And, yes, Susie is doing very well.  She's a happy, healthy 4-month old little girl, and this brings new meaning to each moment!

Be well, and I will do my best to bring you more model railroading sooner than later!

~RGDave

No comments:

Post a Comment