This was going to be a major project. I decided to use a Walthers (Shinohara) Code 83 'double crossover' that makes use of a diamond to reduce the length of the crossovers. While this would be very unlikely to be used on prototype freight roads, it saves a tremendous amount of space in staging! However, there is nothing that feels good about cutting into smooth-running trackage. That said, it is true that this would be an important capital improvement. I began work Friday night and completed it late Sunday night.
I cut ties off the ends of the crossover, slid rail joiners down all the way until they were clear of the ends of the new track, and then glued the new trackage in place, taking care to also slide the joiners onto the new connections. This was a delicate, trial-and-error process, but everything came together. Above, you can see the weights on the newly-glued track and roadbed while it cured overnight.